To use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, follow these steps (this tutorial focuses on downloading ISO and creating DVD or USB media for Windows 10):
- Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from microsoft.com, or via the following download links:
Media Creation Tool (Build 16299.15): MediaCreationTool.exe
Older version of Media Creation Tool
Media Creation Tool (Build 14393): MediaCreationTool.exe
Media Creation Tool (Build 10586): MediaCreationToolRetail.exe
32-bit Media Creation Tool (Build 10240): MediaCreationTool.exe
64-bit Media Creation Tool (Build 10240): MediaCreationToolx64.exe
- Run the Media Creation Tool.
- In the “Windows 10 Setup” window, choose Upgrade this PC now if you want to upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 for free, and hit Next.
To get Windows 10 ISO images, or to create a Windows 10 DVD disc or USB flash drive, choose Create installation media for another PC, and hit Next.
- Choose the Language, Edition and Architecture of Windows 10 that you want to download. Refer to the table below to identify the appropriate Windows 10 edition that you should download, as part of Windows 10 upgrade path or to ensure selected if the one which corresponding to the license or product key you purchased. Click or tap on Next when selection is done.
Host operating system edition Windows 10 edition Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 8.1 with Bing
Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Home Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate
Windows 8 Pro
Windows 8.1 Pro
Windows 8/8.1 Professional with Media Center
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Pro Windows 8/8.1 Single Language
Windows 8 Single Language with Bing
Windows 10 Home Single Language Windows 8/8.1 Chinese Language Edition
Windows 8 Chinese Language Edition with Bing
Windows 10 Home China
- Select either to create a USB flash drive or ISO file as the media for Windows 10 OS downloaded. If you want to burn a DVD disc, choose ISO file. Hit Next when done.
- If you selected USB flash drive, choose the USB flash removable drive to be used as Windows 10 media. If the tool can’t find a USB flash drive, plug in a USB flash drive to computer, and click or tap on Refresh drive list.
If you selected ISO file, choose a folder location to store the Windows 10 ISO image.
- Media Creation Tool starts to download and verify Windows 10 files with a progress status.
- After the download is complete, the ISO or USB flash drive media is created automatically. Select Finish to exit.
In Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, you can directly burn the ISO to DVD disc with Windows built-in DVD burner called Windows Disc Image Burner.
You can now locate the Windows 10 ISO or media at the location you specified in the wizard, and use it to install or upgrade any PC, such as using Windows 10 ISO to upgrade Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, by simply running the setup.exe. Do remember to check on Windows 10 system requirements to ensure that current system can run Windows 10 properly.
Note that the file hashes (CRC32, SHA1, MDA and etc.) for Windows 10 ISO images created by Media Creation Tool are unique as time stamps and other factors are different for each computers. However, all Windows 10 ISO downloaded is identical, all of which the final gold master RTM release with build version number of 10.0.10240.16384. Microsoft first released the Windows 10 RTM Build 10240 to Windows Insiders, properly to test the upgrade process.