Windows 10 May 2020 Update is the major feature update for Windows 10 that updates the Windows 10 to version 2004, and pushes its OS build 19041.1 where the minor version has kept increasing with each updates. The OS version of Windows 10 Version 2004, codenamed 20H1 during development, now stands at 19041.208 for RTM release and 19041.264 with latest cumulative updates installed just before the GA (general availability) for the public.
Windows 10 May 2020 packs a host of new features and improvements that make life easier and boost productivity. Some of the new features and enhancements are:
- Cortana improvements: Integration with various Microsoft apps to improve productivity, such as Calendar, To-Do, Office 365 and Microsoft Office apps, with focus on conversations and tasks, and ditching Smart Home functions. Cortana app can now be unlocked from Taskbar, supports both typing and talking, and also comes in many more regional languages support.
- Improved tablet mode: Deliver a more intuitive experience for touch, disable automatic switching to tablet mode prompt, more spaced out icons and a touch-friendly version of the File Explorer.
- More control over optional updates, including hardware driver updates, in Windows Update.
- Bandwidth limit for download and upload in Windows Update.
- Redesigned Start Menu: More slick and modern with refined live tiles.
- Quick searches in Search Home such as News, New Movies, Today in History, Weather and more.
- Live GPU temperatures in Task Manager for dedicated display adapter.
- Disk type, e.g. HDD or SSD, Task Manager.
- FPS (frame per second) counter and achievement overlay in Xbox Game Bar.
- New Kaomojis, expressions made with just characters.
- Close circuit TV (CCTV) and other network security cameras that are capable of transmitting data over IP to phones and compliant with ONVIF Profile S, can now be connected to your PC to stream the content or footage directly. in Camera app. Add the IP-based camera in Settings -> Devices -> Bluetooth & other devices -> Add Bluetooth or other device.
- Enhanced Windows Search that indexes all files for faster searching experience.
- Improvements to Virtual Desktops: Virtual Desktops can now be named and are saved across reboots.
- Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2): The newest version of WSL uses Hyper-V architecture to enable its virtualization to improve file system performance and add full system call compatibility.
- Cloud Download: When resetting PC, you can select Cloud Download for Windows to retrieve latest Windows 10 files from the cloud.
- Make your device passwordless: Use PIN or any other Windows Hello sign-in method such as Face and Fingerprint to login to Windows 10 devices, including when booting to Safe Mode.
- Virtual desktops improvement: Rename virtual desktops.
- Improved Network and Internet -> Status page with more information displayed.
- More control over automatic restart of apps when signing out, restarting or shutting down.
- Disk cleanup no longer offers Downloads folder for deletion.
- Microsoft Paint and WordPad are now optional features and can be uninstalled.
- Customize Text Cursor Indicator’s color and size.
With so many significant improvements and new features, you can now download and install the stable release of Windows 10 May 2020 Update, as Microsoft has released Windows 10 May 2020 Update to general public on May 27th 2020
even though the new Windows 10 feature update hasn’t yet in general availability, which is expected to happen only towards end of May 2020. But Microsoft has released Windows 10 Build 19041.208 to Windows Insider on Slow and Release Preview rings, and ISO images for earlier builds, providing ways to download and upgrade Windows 10 to version 2004 now.
Here’s a few methods that you can download and install Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041 final RTM release for new installation, or Windows 10 May 2020 Feature Update to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 Version 2004. Before upgrading, be sure to check the features and functionality that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Version 2004.
Method 1: Download and Install Feature Update via Windows Update
Go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update and hit the Check for updates button. Once the update appears, you can select Download and install.
Method 2: Windows 10 Version 2004 Media Creation Tool / Update Assistant
You can download Media Creation Tool (MCT) or Update Assistant for Windows 10 May 2020 Update Version 2004 to upgrade to Windows 10 Build 19041, or to create installation media and ISO.
Method 3: Install Windows 10 May 2020 Update with ISO Image
Microsoft has released the final RTM build of Windows 10 Version 2004 to MSDN/MVS for subscribers’ download. The ISO images are based on Windows 10 Build 19041.208, and then updated to Windows 10 Build 19041.264 in Updated May 2020 ISO images.
The ISO images of Windows 10 Version 2004 are now available for public download.
ISO image of Windows 10 Version 2004 May 2020 Update (new ISO: Windows 10 Version 2004 May 2020 Update Build 19041.264 ISO) will allow you to perform an in-place upgrade or do a clean install, by running setup.exe from the ISO. If you’re not subscriber to Visual Studio or MSDN, searching around on the Internet will probably lands you the required ISO image.
Once you downloaded the Windows 10 Version 2004 ISO image, double click on it to mount it as a drive or unpack it to a folder. Browse to it and run setup.exe to start the installation process. Make that that you select to keep personal files and apps if you plan to perform just an in-place upgrade.
Method 4: Install Windows 10 May 2020 Update with ISO Image Released to Insider Preview
Not fond of downloading Windows 10 ISO image from unofficial source? Microsoft has periodically published the ISO images of Window 10 Insider preview builds. The latest one is Windows 10 Build 19041.84. Though a bit old, the setup should automatically download the latest updates during the installation process to bring the final product to build 19041.264.
Download the official Windows 10 ISO images from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewadvanced. You need a Microsoft Account registered with Windows Insider program to access the download site. You should select Windows Insider Preview (SLOW) – Build 19041 when asked to select edition.
Once you downloaded the Windows 10 Build 19041 ISO image, double click on it to mount it as a drive. Browse to it and run setup.exe to start the installation process. Make that that you select to keep personal files and apps if you plan to perform just an in-place upgrade.
Method 5: Join Windows Insider in the Slow or Release Preview Ring
Windows Insider program allows Microsoft to beta test the upcoming general releases of Windows 10, but also allows those who joined the program to gain early access to new builds and releases before anyone else. Windows Insider program has 3 rings, namely Fast, Slow, and Release Preview.
A stable Windows 10 feature update, or even cumulative update, release candidate will likely be released to all Fast, Slow and Release Preview rings before been made available to general public. Normally, Slow ring publishes new changes that are been made to immediate upcoming release of update for Windows 10. When a version becomes release candidate, or RTM escrow, it will be released in Release Preview ring for final check, normally just few days or weeks from general availability.
As of now, final RTM build of Windows 10 Version 2004 May 2020 Update, build 19041.208 upgrade-able to build 19041.264, has been released to both Slow and Release Preview rings. If you want to download and install Windows 10 Version 2004 now, you can just join Windows Insider program, and set to receive builds from Slow or Release Preview ring. You also need to set diagnostic data to “Full” to send all basic diagnostics data to Microsoft. After restart, check for updates in Windows Update and voila you will be received Windows 10 May 2020 Feature Update and upgraded to Windows 10 Version 2004.
Once you’re done, you can opt out of Windows Insider program by stopping getting new preview builds in Windows Update -> Windows Insider Program, so that your system stays at current stable release. The system will continue to receive updates that are released for the production build, i.e. Windows 10 Version 2004, but will not receive new preview builds when the ring that you selected switches to next feature update.
Method 6: Hack Boot Configuration Data & Registry to Enable Insider Builds Download
Not a fan of Windows Insider program? You can actually hack the Windows 10 system so that Windows Update assumes the system is enrolled in Windows Insider program and eligible to receive preview builds. Essentially this method is similar to enroll the device in Windows Insider program, except that no Microsoft Account is required (thus you no need to actually register in Windows Insider program), and you have the option to completely remove the traces of Windows Insider enrollment in the system afterwards.
Download OfflineInsiderEnroll fro GitHub. Extract the package and run the OfflineInsiderEnroll.cmd as Administrator. Then, type R to enroll to Release Preview ring or S to enroll to Insider Slow ring. The script will automatically add the required settings to Boot Configuration Data (BCD) and registry.
Note that you still need to allow Microsoft to collect all diagnostic data by setting diagnostic data option to Full in Privacy -> Diagnostics & feedback in order to start receiving preview builds.
After restart, check for updates in Windows Update and you should see new feature update, i.e. Windows 10 May 2020 Update waiting for you. After upgrading, you can run the script again by pressing X to remove all registry keys and entries in Boot Configuration Data.
When Windows 10 May 2020 Update reaches general availability milestone, which is expected by end of May, you will be able to receive the Feature Update to Windows 10 through Windows Update. In addition, Microsoft will also release Media Creation Tool, which allows you to easily in-place upgrade the Windows 10 system, or to create an ISO image and burn to DVD. Prior to public release, ESD (Electronic Software Distribution) files, which Microsoft has been using to deliver updates through Windows Update, will be made available. Advanced users can download the official ESD file from Microsoft’s server and convert the ESD to ISO disc image that is identical to official ISO files released.