Eevee is one of the most unique Pokémon species in the popular Pokémon franchise game, in that it can evolve to multiple evolved species as it has an unstable genetic code. In the phenomena informally known as “Eeveelutions”, Eevee can evolve into eight different Pokémon depending on the situation such as exposure to special items, happiness level, friendship, moves, time of the day and etc.
Officially, Eevee can evolve into the following 8 different Pokemon:
- Vaporeon (when exposed to a Water Stone)
- Jolteon (when exposed to a Thunder Stone)
- Flareon (when exposed to a Fire Stone)
- Espeon (when evolved with high friendship during the daytime except at areas with a Moss Rock or Ice Rock, or when evolved with high friendship with a Sun Shard)
- Umbreon (when evolved with high friendship during the nighttime except at areas with a Moss Rock or Ice Rock, or when evolved with high friendship with a Moon Shard)
- Leafeon (when evolved near a Moss Rock)
- Glaceon (when evolved near an Ice Rock)
- Sylveon (when evolved with a Fairy-type move and 2 Affection hearts in Pokémon-Amie or Pokémon Refresh except at areas with a Moss Rock or Ice Rock)
In Pokémon Go, Eeveelutions does not “yet” use any elemental stones and the map does not “yet” include any Moss Rock or Ice Rock. In place is the Eevee Candy which is required for every evolution. And this makes evolution of Eevee much simpler, and purely subjected to luck, as trainers do not have any control on the evolved Pokemon species. All evolution of Eevee will be randomly transformed into one of its stage 2 Pokemon.
Currently, only Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemons have been introduced in Pokemon Go, so only the Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon and Umbreon can be obtainable.
However, Niantic Labs, the developer of the Pokemon Go does provide some neat tricks which guarantee the evolution of Eevee to species you want. The trick is commonly known as Eevee evolution naming trick – that’s by renaming Eevee to specific name that corresponding to the stage 2 Pokemon that you hope your Eevee to evolve to.
Eevee Evolution Names Trick – How to Evolve Eevee to Vaporeon, Flareon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon
Tap on the PokeBall on the bottom center of the screen, and select POKEMON to open your Pokemon storage bag. Choose the Eevee that you want to evolve, and tap on its name to edit. Rename according to the following:
- Rainer – to evolve to Vaporeon
- Sparky – to evolve to Jolteon
- Pyro – to evolve to Flareon
- Sakura – to evolve to Espeon
- Tamao – to evolve to Umbreon
The names is essentially the names of Pokemon Trainers in the Pokemon anime who are known as Eevee Brothers and Kimono Girls.
Once you rename the Eevee, you can start to evolve (make sure you want the required 25 Eevee Candies), and it should turn into the Pokemon you want. Do remember, the trick only works once for each stage 2 Pokemons.
Umbreon and Espeon High Friendship Evolution Trick – How to Evolve Eevee as a Buddy to Umbreon and Espeon
Doesn’t get the perfect moveset for your Pokemon after Eeveevolutions? Or want more of the more powerful Pokemons? If you can’t get enough of Umbreon and Espoen, you can use the following trick to evolve Eevee to either Umbreon and Espeon, for unlimited quantity, if you’re willing to walk 10km each time.
In Pokemon universe, Eevee can evolve into Umbreon or Espeon via high friendship and whether the evolution taken place during the daytime or nighttime. In Pokemon Go, high friendship means Eevee is your Buddy and have walked together with your for over 10km.
Thus, to evolve an Eevee into Umbreon or Espeon, set the Eevee as your Buddy, and start walking with her.
Once you’ve walked more than 10km (you can check the total distance walked on the Buddy screen by tapping on your avatar), choose the following local time to evolve the Eevee while it’s still assigned as your Buddy.
- Espeon – Daytime
- Umbreon – Nighttime
Of course, do make sure that you have the required 25 Eevee Candies before starting the evolution.
Enjoy your new lovely Pokemons.