Unfortunately, Microsoft no longer includes Windows Easy Transfer in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. You won’t be able to find Windows Easy Transfer (migwiz.exe) or any other transfer utility in Windows 10 and Windows 10. That’s make it very hard and inconvenient for Windows users who want to migrate their systems.
However, if you don’t have other backup or file transfer tools available, and must rely on the free Windows Easy Transfer utility, there are workaround and alternative available.
PCmover Express – Windows Transfer Tool Alternative
Probably sensing the outrage from Windows users, Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to make available the PCmover Express, for free download. PCmover Express is very fast and easy utility to move all your files, folders settings, and user profiles to your new PC by following a simple wizard, much like Windows Easy Transfer.
PCmover Express, also known as Personal Use edition, is free for non-commercial use, and the destination PC must be running Windows 8.1 or 10.
Windows Easy Transfer Workaround – Manually Install the migwiz Program
While Microsoft does not officially release Windows Easy Transfer for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, it doesn’t mean that the application won’t work in Windows 10 or Windows 8.1. In fact, with no major changes in system architecture, there is no reason why Windows Easy Transfer won’t work in later versions of Windows.
There are at least three ways to manually install Windows Easy Transfer program on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Once Windows Easy Transfer is installed, you can perform the data and settings migration using the easy WET wizard. Here’s the guide to migrate Windows Easy Transfer, together with all your files and settings to new PC:
Method 1: Create Windows Easy Transfer Installer Using the Windows Easy Transfer
- On Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer, run Windows Easy Transfer.
- On Welcome screen, hit Next.
- Select any one of the options: An Easy Transfer cable, A network or An external hard disk or USB flash drive.
- Hit on This is my new computer when asked which computer are you using now, even though in actual you’re on your old PC.
- If you selected “An external hard disk or USB flash drive” as the method to transfer items, you need to select No when asked if Windows Easy Transfer has already saved your files from old computer.
- Tap or click on I need to install it now when asked if you need to install Windows Easy Transfer on your old computer.
- Select External hard disk or shared network folder when asked how do you want to install Windows Easy Transfer on your old computer, and then select a folder that you want to save the Windows Easy Transfer setup installer.
- After the exporting and saving of Windows Easy Transfer installer is done, copy and transfer (via portable hard disk, USB flash drive, shared folder or any other means) the saved Windows Easy Transfer setup files to Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 computer, and run MigSetup.exe to install Windows Easy Transfer on the PC.
- Run Windows Easy Transfer to start the migration wizard.
Method 2: Manually Copy the Windows Easy Transfer Files
- Run Easy Transfer on old Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 or other Windows PC.
- When the WET’s wizard completed, copy the following files and folder (including all content inside the folder) to an external storage media such as USB flash drive or portable hard disk:
- On new Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 PC, copy the migwiz folder to the hard disk of new PC (can be placed in any folder).
- Run MigSetup.exe.
Method 3: Download Windows Easy Transfer from Microsoft Download Center
Microsoft published Windows Easy Transfer for Windows Vista as it’s not included by default in Windows Vista operating system. However, the same Windows Easy Transfer should work on most later Windows OSes, including Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.