Windows Vista Capable PC Specification (Minimum Requirements):
- A modern processor (at least 800MHz)
- 512 MB of system RAM memory
- A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable
Windows Vista Premium Ready PC Specifications (Recommended Requirements):
- 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 GB of system memory
- A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero (DirectX 9 class graphics processor that supports WDDM Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware and 32 bits per pixel with big enough graphics memory)
- 128 MB of graphics memory
- 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space
- DVD-ROM Drive
- Audio output capability
- Internet access capability
Note: An updated system requirements for Windows Vista has been published.
Windows Vista has a Get Ready website (
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx – discontinued) that contains all information you need in order to prepare for the arrival of Windows Vista. Beside, consumers will be able to buy PC designated as Windows Vista Ready PC or Windows Vista Premium Ready PC. Windows Vista Capable PC will be capable to run all versions of Windows Vista core experiences such as innovations in organizing and finding information, security, and reliability at a minimum, while Windows Vista Premium Ready PC will allow users even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero user experience.
If you want to know if your current Windows XP-based computer is ready for an upgrade to Windows Vista or not, Microsoft has released Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Beta which will scan your computer and generate an easy-to-understand report of any known system and device compatibility issues, along with recommendations on how you can get your PC ready for Windows Vista. In future, Upgrade Advisor will include software and applications compatibility with Windows Vista check too.