Akismet WordPress Plugin has been upgraded to version 2.0. Akismet blog has details about the new features of Akismet 2.0:
- Instead of just viewing the last 150 comments, you can now page through everything caught by Akismet.
- There was a performance bug which could cause the old plugin to be pretty hard on the DB when getting a ton of spam, now it doesn’t.
- You can now search the Akismet caught queue.
- Longer timeout so it’s less likely to let spam through if you have a free key and the load is high. (With a paid key you always are in the priority queue.)
- The counters now update properly when you clear things out.
- A recheck moderation queue page on the WP moderation page to re-submit things in your moderation queue, so if gosh forbid Akismet ever were to go down you could have it recheck all your comments later.
- A new counter widget you can put in your sidebar to show a live count of your spam, see an example on my site.
- It kills the open_proxy_check option in WordPress 2.0 that causes false positives.
- You can hardcode your API key in the plugin file to hide the configuration page and enable Akismet as a mu-plugin for WordPress MU.
- If Akismet is unable to contact the mothership, it now has much friendlier debug messages.
- Akismet can be instructed to discard spam that comes in on entries older than a month. The option is available on the Akismet configuration page under Plugins.
You can download Akismet WordPress Plug-in 2.0 to update your Akismet individually by downloading Akismet 2.0 in zip file, or upgrade your WordPress to version 2.1 that incorporates built-in updated Akismet plugin.