With Windows 10 October 2018 Update OS version 1809 almost reaching its general availability to release to everyone in October 2018, Microsoft is set to sign off a final RTM build sometime in September 2018. As such, the newest Windows Insider preview build pushed by Microsoft to Windows Insiders may potentially be the final RTM (released to manufacturing) build, as such a RTM Escrow build.
The latest build rolled out by Microsoft for rs5_release branch is build 17763. All changes in the build is focused on fixing bugs and under the hood improvement, and does not have any new features or functionality. The build has some known issues though, but if the build becomes the RTM final code, Microsoft can always fix any issues with CU (cumulative updates).
However, do note that a new build 17764 has been published by Microsoft as canary build and as such Windows 10 October 2018 Update v.1809 could be build 17764 or any other builds too.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- Fixed an issue where touching a Flash element in Microsoft Edge with two or more fingers could result in the tab crashing.
- Fixed an issue where thumbnails and icons might not be rendered if there were any video files saved to the desktop.
- Fixed an issue where certain Bluetooth audio devices wouldn’t play sound in apps that also used the microphone.
- Fixed an issue resulting in an unexpectedly increased use of battery recently when using certain apps like OneNote.
- Fixed an issue in PowerShell where it wasn’t displaying characters correctly in Japanese.
- Fixed an issue resulting in display scaling factors not being applied correctly (so the UI was smaller than expected) when viewing a full screen remote desktop window on a monitor set to certain display scalings.
- Task Manager is not reporting accurate CPU usage.
- Arrows to expand “Background processes” in Task Manager are blinking constantly and weirdly.
To download and install Windows 10 October 2018 Update Build 17763, join Windows Insider program and set to receive update in the Fast ring. Then, check for updates in Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update. No ISO images have been released yet though.
Update: Windows 10 Build 10.0.17763.1 has been released to Slow ring, making it possibly the RTM for Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809 with full build string of 10.0.17763.1.rs5_release.180914-1434.