Fancy Windows Aero transparency and shadow effects in Windows Vista? Well, if you want to stick with Windows XP, there is also the alternative for Windows Aero glass effects in Windows XP, and even older version of Windows such as Windows Server 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows NT, Windows 9x, Windows Me and etc. Y’z Shadow (YzShadow) is such application that able to simulate or emulate transparency glass effect and window shadow on Windows PC.
Y’z Shadow is an utility that enhances Explorer to add a shadow effect to the windows in pursuit of the “beauty of a shadow”. It also allows the user the option of making menus transparent, aka transparency effect in Windows Aero.
The features of Y’z Shadow included:
- Attaches a drop shadow to the windows.
- Makes it possible to select one type of shadow effect in the active window and a different one in the inactive window.
- The user can choose to have transparent menus. There is also the option of selecting the degree of transparency in the menus.
- Add a drop shadow to the menus.
- Add a drop shadow to the Taskbar.
- The width, depth, etc. of the drop shadows can all be set to your liking in the settings dialog.
- It works correctly with either Windows XP styles or classic style.
- The user can specify application windows that you wish to exclude from having the drop shadow effect.
- The user can choose a setting that will automatically adjust your windows so they do not overlap or interfere with the Taskbar.
- Available in different languages such as English and Japanese (default), and Simplified Chinese (user customized).
Download the freeware Y’z Shadow version 1.9:
yzshadow19.zip (with English, Japanese and Simplified Chinese languages).
Y’z Shadow 2.2:
Y’z Shadow 2.3 Beta 3:
For best visual effect, use 16 bits of screen display color depth or higher. No installation required, simply extract the contents of the archive to let’s say, C:\Program Files\YzShadow, and then run YzShadow.exe program.
Update: Resources no longer available.